18.10.08

I'm sorry MS, Jackson

I have been having a great time here at my Cardiovascular-Renal meeting at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, MS!

First of all, I really like the feeling here in Jackson. It reminds me of New Orleans, of which I have fond childhood memories. I was driven by the Old Capitol and the Governor's Mansion, two of only three buildings here in Jackson that survived the Civil War. The trolley driver told me that only three buildings survived the three burnings of Jackson, and that was because they were of use to the Union Army as headquarters, hospital and something else I can't remember. The Civil War Memorial is also a beautiful building. I wish I had had the time to see all of them!

I did get to go to the Mississippi Museum of Art, which had a very lovely collection. One of my favorite pieces was a painting of canned vegetables in Ball mason jars. Luckily, the painting is featured on the exhibition page for the Museum, so you can take a look at it too. My other favorite was a piece named "Kudzu" (Melody will know what I'm talking about :-))

Last night was the meeting banquet. It started out a little slow for me (I'm rather shy and I didn't know anyone), but I quickly made some friends from West Virginia, Arkansas and Jackson. The food was delicious and there was a great band playing great music. I was even asked by an older gentleman to dance, and he taught me how to country swing!

In knitting news, I have been working on a wrap based on the Dream Swatch Head Wrap by Wendy Bernard. I'm doing it on a larger scale (for optimal keeping me warm purposes), in a beautiful yarn by Miss Babs. It's going well so far, take a look . . .

No comments: